Even if you’re sitting on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” -Will Rogers
Like many clients I have worked with, I am a Personality Type Seven in the Enneagram System meaning, I like to keep my options open. In Northern California, some call this “going with the flow”, and may use this strategy as their chosen methodology for postponing decision-making and commitments.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I am all for being in the flow. After all, that’s where magic happens. There is a great awareness that arises in this “Being with What Is”- or as Gil Fronsdal calls it, the Practice of “Not-Knowing”. Socrates said, “The realization of not knowing is the beginning of wisdom.” Practicing being comfortable with the unknown, yet trusting in an inherent wisdom by keeping the channel open is what Martha Graham coined, “The Blessed Unrest”.
I have spent many months in this “Blessed Unrest, practicing the “Not-Knowing” inquiry. I’ve learned to befriend radical uncertainty. When we practice being comfortable with the unknown, a deep inner knowing does emerge of a what is possible. This or something better! We don’t need to have all the answers to take action towards a desired outcome.
With the recent explosion of The Secret & The Law of Attraction, we have all been reminded that desires and passion coupled with focused intention and trust is the most powerful formula for manifestation. In order to create change and see specific results, it is essential to put our attention on what we want.
The Key is to FOCUS on the OUTCOME
as if it already EXISTS.
So, do you want to create the momentum that will produce optimal results in your business or organization? Would you like to attract more ideal clients? Increase your revenue? Double your income? Transition into a new career? Try these seemingly simple steps for 60 days and see the results:
1. Write your goals as affirmations. Writing is essential.It creates suggestion in the subconscious. Use present tense, with specifics: It is now March 2008, I have/am________ or my company is/has________.
Write what you will be doing and feeling when you are living in this outcome. Include as much detail as possible for evidence of achievement. This is a critical component in knowing/seeing that you have achieved your desired outcome.
2. Read these goals aloud 2-3 times a day- first thing in the morning and right before bedtime is very effective.
3. Use visuals to support your goals/affirmations: Create a collage or vision board. If you are leading a management team, facilitating a change initiative or strategic visioning process, I recommend using more sophisticated graphic template guides such as those available at www.grove.com.
4. Surround yourself with people who will support the achievement of your outcomes and hold you to high standards. Remove yourself from people and environments that do not support your vision.
5. Get inspired. Read autobiographies and biographies of your heroes, living or not. I was very motivated in my recent re-reading of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, and following his “secret” 100%.
6. Saturate yourself with learning. Engage in personal development workshops and seminars. Harv Eker’s Millionaire Mind Intensives and Guerilla Business School are life-changing.
7. Vow to Play a Bigger Game. Marianne Williamson said it best: “. . . we ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?”
8. Maintain a consistent exercise program and balanced, healthy nutrition. Drink plenty of water. Reduce/eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine and red meat intake.
9. Every moment is a choice point. Living in this realization is very empowering. If you find yourself unclear at a choice point, be with the uncertainty. As one of my mentors often reminded me in times of anxiety or fear: ‘Don’t do anything, just be still.” Allow the inner flame of clarity to emerge. Then, refer back to the picture /words of your DESIRED OUTCOME and select an ACTION(S) that propels you towards your desires and goals.
10. Have fun with the process and enjoy the journey!
If it’s humanly possible, you CAN DO IT!
We all need support. Are you seeking a professional partner and vision keeper committed to helping you achieve desired outcomes in your business, organization, or with your “blessed unrest”? If so, contact me. I’m here to serve!